COVID-19 update from the Department for Education
We received the following from the the Chief Executive of the Department for Education on 18 November 2020 at 3 pm.
The Premier has announced a 6 day statewide lockdown from midnight tonight.
Preschools, schools and early childhood services will be impacted.
For the remainder of this week, all schools, preschools and early childhood services will remain open only for children of essential workers or vulnerable children who need to attend school. We expect this number to be very small and therefore sites can operate a skeleton staff (please ensure a minimum of 2 people).
We are working with authorities to clarify the definition of essential workers. Teachers and essential education staff are essential workers. However, no child will be turned away from one of our sites.
Teachers and leaders are not expected to operate a learning program this week.
Please do the following:
- Complete the rest of the school day as normal – students and staff should stay at school. Do not shut your school early and do not ask parents to pick their children up early. If parents choose to collect their children early, that’s ok.
- OSHC should continue to run this afternoon as normal.
- School busses will run as normal this afternoon and for the remainder of this week.
- You must allow and encourage your students to take home school laptops/devices, books, and anything they need to continue their learning from home.
- Teachers and leaders must take home devices, books and all of the resources and materials you need to continue teaching and supporting your students to learn from home.
- Central staff should also take home devices and anything they need to work from home.
- Assign a skeleton staff to provide adequate supervision to the children of essential workers and vulnerable for Thursday and Friday.
- Please make sure you can easily access anything SA Health might need for contact tracing – the visitor book, contact details for all staff, students and parents, and class timetable details.
- Assign someone to have electronic or phone contact with any known vulnerable learners in your school.
- Leaders in central must have contact details for everyone in your team.
This is a challenging time. But I have complete trust and confidence in every one of you. We will support each other and our students through this time.
I’ll run another webinar at 4.00pm today for all staff. We’ll continue to provide more information as it comes to hand, including details for next week.
Take care of yourselves.