The new Public Interest Disclosure Act 2018 (SA) (the PID Act) replaces the repealed Whistleblowers Protection Act 1993 (SA). The new Act provides greater protection for informants and improves transparency and accountability in government and the public sector.
The PID Act applies differently to the following two types of public interest information:
- Environment and health information: protection for anyone wanting to disclose environmental and health information where there is a substantial risk to the environment or to public health and safety.
- Public administration information: protection for public servants wanting to disclose administration information where there is potential corruption, misconduct or maladministration.
How to protect yourself
To gain the protections under the PID Act, you must make an appropriate disclosure of public interest information.
How to make an appropriate disclosure
You can make an appropriate disclosure of public interest information by:
Public Interest Disclosure
Education Standards Board
GPO Box 1811
Adelaide SA 5001
Mark the envelope private and confidential.
esb.pid [at] sa.gov.au
You can contact the responsible officers via the channels above to make an appropriate disclosure or you may request to meet them face to face in a neutral location.
Upon receiving the disclosure, the ESB responsible officers, will ensure:
- that the information is securely received and not divulged to other parties
- only responsible officers will be able to access the information (with appropriate ICT security measures)
- the Chief Executive is responsible for ensuring compliance with these steps.
When making the disclosure of information, if you are revealing your identity, you have rights about being kept informed. Please speak to the responsible officers about how you wish to be contacted by them.
The person receiving the public interest information must comply with the requirements set out under the PID Act and must also follow the procedures set out under the PID Act.
Here are the ESB procedures that must be followed:
- Procedure: for a person who wants to make an appropriate disclosure of public interest information
- Procedure: for responsible officers and employees receiving and dealing with an appropriate disclosure of public interest information